Monday 11 January 2010

50 Things to be Thankful For: No. 4...

Yeonghae!

The place that I live. The wonderfully unpredictable predictable place! I know that I am one of a kind here. I'm getting to know how I can act around ajouma's (old ladies), the kids and just in general. I love the food, the people, the cold weather (sometimes!). I feel safe here.

So, I finally thought it was about time to venture to other parts of South Korea solo. I chose Daejeon for my expedition as I needed to be around there for an appointment on Saturday. I let myself get excited about the places I could go, the things I could see. The bus ride, the train ride. Everything!

Error!

The bus ride was simple. The train ride, simple too. The lovely taxi drivers of Daegu were all that I expected and more.

Daejeon...not so friendly. Not so accommodating to foreigners. Even in my broken Korean. They just didn't like me. They didn't want to help. I was too different. I wasn't one of them. Eventually I got a nice taxi driver who helped me find my hotel. And a nice lady on the phone helped me too. But needless to say when I got home I was smiling!

I felt exhausted and stressed. Something I haven't felt in a LONG time. Maybe about 3 months.

There were a couple of good things that came of the trips. I found a Starbucks and bought myself a new baby pink mug (LOVE) and got a free mobile thingy :) and I managed to reread a good book, The Curious Indecent of the Dog in the Night-time. Which I love. Oh and the bus ride!

What can I say it was a good one!

I hope you're all well, and having a good start to the new year :) don't worry this won't stop me from venturing out into the wonderfully bizarre world of South Korea xx

No comments:

Post a Comment