Saturday 3 July 2010

And then the Bubble Burst...

So, I've been in Korea for almost 9 months. I could have got pregnant and had the baby by now, but I didn't. I love it here. I should have 3 more months to get used to the idea of leaving, but I don't.

On Thursday I went into work, like any other day. I decided I wanted to know how many more lessons I have until I go to China. I love counting down, there's a sense of achievement in it for me. My first 2 lessons were like every other lesson. My little girls were cute and we did colouring, my middle class was combined with my Friday class, and we played One Card and Chase the Joker. Obviously all in English. We chatted and laughed all through the classes. Then I had my break and went back upstairs just before my lesson was due to start. Less than 5 minutes before my class starts my boss asks to speak to me.

Something you should know about my boss and I. We have a really good working relationship. I teach and have fun with the kids, while he is the strict one. He never tells me to do anything differently, and I make sure he knows what I plan on doing if there is a change in schedule. He respects me as a teacher and I respect him as my boss. I only have to be in hogwan when there's class and I do all my planning at home. It's my perfect set up! Seriously!

So, back to the story. I immediately knew there was something wrong. He asked me to take a seat and then I thought "Oh pants, he's going to ask me to stay on for another year, and I'm not ready to tell him that as much as I love my job and the kids, I want to try somewhere new." So while I spent the split second thinking about what to say, I didn't notice the sad look on his face. And then I did. Oh man, he's going to tell me he doesn't want me to work for him any more. That he doesn't like me or my teaching, and I'm fired.

Oh man. Oh man. Oh man.

Well, it's worse.

He says he's very sorry that he has to do this. And if he could he would do something else. But he can't keep me working for him. The business is dead. (as in he's bankrupt) He has to let me go.

When you might ask? In August? September?

NO!

In July. He says that at the end of the month there will be no more hogwan. Oh, I say. So you will work until then, he says. OK. I ask, when is my last day?

19th JULY!

WHAT THE FLIP FLOP!?

Are you kidding?

I could blog about the extra problems that ensued over the next couple of days, but I'm over them. I don't want to bring them up right now. I'm sad enough that I have to pack up my very comfortable and wonderful life here in Korea and go home.

I'm no longer going to China for 6 weeks, or having black week. Or meeting up with my brother.

Instead I'm going on a very scary and wonderful journey somewhere else.

Man alive.

So, today I stopped crying and started packing.

Boxes and boxes.

Books everywhere.

Oh my, where is it all going to go?

I'm just thankful for my parents and friends. I know something is round the corner that'll prove the reason for leaving Korea so suddenly. And then it'll all make sense. But for now...I guess it's dealing with everything and being more aware of the jobs I take in the future!

As for all of you reading this who are thinking of becoming teachers in Korea. I still say GO FOR IT! Just be careful who you work for. Public schools are the way forward! Longer hours and less pay yes. Being let go with 14 days notice and then short changing your final pay...not going to happen!

I'll try and keep you all updated!

Love Kat :)

1 comment:

  1. aww kat just read this blogpost and realised all the pantness of this as it seems for you right now. guess packing will help bring some closure. have fun your last couple weeks. xxx

    ReplyDelete