Sunday 4 July 2010

Korean Churches, Eating and My Korean Mother...

Today was the 3rd Sunday I've attended church in Korea.

Like every church I've been to we sign hymns, read from the Bible, pray and hear a sermon. But there is one huge difference. Instead of being seen as an outcast because I am different (and I speak very little Korean) I am celebrated. The pastor actually learned a few phrases during the week to say to me.

Each and every person is wonderfully friendly and helpful. When I don't catch the hymn number, they help me, when I don't get the words right, they smile and encourage me to keep trying, and when we say the grace they still smile at me, and include me, even though I can't fully join in.

I guess I am lucky though. I've been involved in a lot of wonderful church families.

Anyway, in true Korean style, after each service there is a joint meal of rice, either fish or meat, and a range of side dishes and kimchi. I love this part too. B, my friend from South Africa, and I are joined by the younger kids and two girls who are a little younger than us (whey speak a little English!) and then we have the ajumas (older ladies) behind us. We all sit and chat and eat and chat and eat. And every time I get near to finishing, I'm presented with more food and then coffee.

But it's more than that. I know it's their way of telling us that we're part of their family.

And that leads me onto something even more special.

I have a special knack of finding a make shift family where ever I go. At church in England it was a few people in the congregation and some friends, in Indonesia it was my best friends family, in Korea...I have found my wonderful Korean mother and father! They are kind hearted souls who pick us up each sunday and drive us to church. Who talk to us like we're normal people. Who tell us off when we do something wrong. Who listen to us when we're sad. Even though a lot of the time we can't understand each other. After church they've started taking us to dinner (yes more food) where we sit with my Berlitz Korean-English Travel book and fashion some sort of conversation. they tell us about their son, and we tell them about our families.

It's lovely.

Today, B couldn't come to church, so I went alone. I was a little nervous, but as soon as I stepped into church I knew it would be ok. And then afterwards, a couple of the school kids walked me home (so cute!!)

I had to break the news to them all that my hogwan is closing and I have no job, so I have to leave. They were sad, just like me. But we've promised to write. So I'm happy I get to keep up my Korean and keep in touch with them. It'll be interesting.

Oh, and as all mothers do, today my Korean mother bought me a top and some fruit, told me I was beautiful and that she was sad I was leaving, before hitting me on my bum, hugging me and sending me home.

So sweet!

Just another thing I'll miss about Korea - but this is where the new adventure starts!

BRING IT ON!

Love xx

2 comments:

  1. brilliantly written kat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luci wrote a Comment, and I can't find it now! But thanks so much Luci! I can't wait to see my Chester family in the coming months :) xxx

    ReplyDelete